Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Learning to listen. . .

When I enjoy being in someone's company I find that they usually take the time to listen.  They rarely seem to be in a rush to "get something off their chest" and they actually act like they hear you instead of thinking of what right answers they can give you when you are finished talking.

I have been practicing listening today.   Listening to my son talk about what interests him- it varies from moment to moment, but usually involves something that he has read in a book.  He is really into the Magic Tree House series right now.  Yesterday I found him listing "Arctic Facts" in his notebook, copying them from the back of one of the Magic Tree House books.  Today he perused through our bird field guide and listed the names of several birds in his notebook. 

When my son talks it is about things that most adults consider small or irrelevant.  And although I would like to categorize myself outside of "most adults" I would have to say that I often fall in that category.  Sometimes it is hard to see what is more important, listening to a seven year old talk about what excites him or doing the dishes.  I guess I have always felt like I cannot do both at the same time.

Something I am learning is that it is possible to listen and show you care even when you are busy.  It may mean more spots on the dishes or that it takes longer, but my son gets to talk and experience the acceptance of just having someone listen.  Its called courtesy when I listen to my friends- I think it should apply to children as well.
And you know what?   I find out that the small things that he talks about are becoming more important to me.  I guess it really is true. . .Where you invest your time and energy is where your heart is.

No comments: