Friday, May 15, 2015

I know that it is a bit late for Mother's Day, but as much as I appreciate Hallmark Holidays and their reminders to show appreciation for our loved ones, I didn't get my Mother's Day blog posted in time...

Regardless, I am still incredibly thankful for my Mom and I wanted to honor her in this post.  Being a mom is not as easy as it looks, apparently.  And Mom, just like myself, did not come into this job knowing what to do.

"Fake it until you make it" doesn't really work with learning to be a mom. Every kid you have is different and even from the kid they themselves were two years ago.  So, one would just have to keep faking it.  I have found the more honest approach is to admit I do not know what I am doing and that I am moving forward the best I can.

Once in a while, however, I will get something right.  Like going on a nature walk with my kids versus the perfectly sane alternative (take sane lightly).  The alternative being- caging us all up most of the day while I obsess about wronging the rights in my imperfectly organized home.

Or the times I pause in my frantic tasks to actually listen to my son's description of the latest Spanish league football game.  Or when I gently address my preschooler's fears instead of getting irritated by them.

"The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly - indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection."  Arianna Huffington

That's why when anyone's mom gets it right I like to take notice.  Because I know when it happens that it is God's grace smiling down on us.  Because those times are the times every mother wishes she could replicate over and over.  Because just like me, every woman who has ever parented a child needs to hear that she is going to make it. That her efforts are salvageable.

More often than not, her children will see her more generously than she sees herself.  They will see a more complete picture of who she is- through the eyes of love.

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw.  All I am I owe to my mother.  I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her."  George Washington

Every mom hopes her imperfections will be forgiven someday and her blunders were also stepping stones to the people her children have become.  Through the examples of our mothers we learn to embrace our own imperfections and hopefully, accept our own beauty.

 I love you, Mom  Thanks for all of the sacrifices made.

A few things you "got right":

1.  Modeling commitment to God and family

2.  Showing me consistency in work and routine

3.  Believing in my talents and abilities and encouraging me to pursue them

4.  Insisting I leave home to go to college (an invaluable experience)

5.  Raising me to love the great outdoors and the farm

6.  Not placing an overemphasis on external beauty (read- teaching me to see deeper than skin)



Happy Belated Mother's Day to all and Thanks for reading!


No comments: